The County Derry/Londonderry region
Portstewart is in the North East corner of County Londonderry, 36 miles from the historic walled city of Londonderry. To the west of the county lie the beautiful beaches and mountains of Donegal: to the east the famous Antrim coast. The University town of Coleraine is a popular shopping centre. The train from Coleraine follows a scenic route past Mussenden Temple and Benone beach to the ancient city of Londonderry.
The town of Portstewart is situated on the scenic Causeway Coast. There are many places of interest within easy reach including the Giant’s Causeway, Carrick-a-Rede rope bridge, Dunluce Castle, Portbintrae, Bushmills, Ballycastle and by ferry Rathlin island – a haven for exploring and bird watching.
There are numerous beautiful sandy beaches in the area including the 2 mile blue flag, Portstewart Strand which has lifeguard supervision. Portrush, Castlerock, Benone and Downhill also boast some spectacular beaches. Some of these beaches permit entry by car.
Golfers are well catered for with 3 courses in the town. Nearby Portrush has hosted the major championship Irish Open on the Royal Portrush Dunluce Links. There is also the Valley Links, and courses in nearby Castlerock and Ballycastle.
Surfing, water sports, horse riding, cycling, walking and fishing are also available. The Flowerfield arts centre hosts many arts and crafts activities and events. Musical events are often held in the riverside theatre in coleraine. Outdoor activities and children’s church are often arranged at the crescent beach play area in the summer months.
The area is also host to the North West 200 motorcycle races, Milk cup Soccer tournament, Auld Lammas Fair, Red Sails Festival and the international Air show. A calendar of some events in the area is shown below. More information on places of interest, events, eating out and further information is available on www.northcoastni.com
Calendar of Events
- Vauxhall International North West 200, 10 – 16 May 2020
- Portrush Raft Race weekend, 22- 24th May 2020 family entertainment
- Causeway Coast Ford Fair, June 2020
- Causeway Coast Amateur Golf Tournament, June 2020
- Amateur Championship, June 2020
- Holiday fortnight, 11 July – 25th July 2020
- Bushmills Bible reading, 11 July – 25 July 2020
- keswick at Portstewart 11- 17 July 2020
- Portrush Bowling Tournaments, July 2020
- Red sails festival Portstewart 22 – 27 July 2020 Family entertainment
- Northern Ireland milk Cup/ Super cup – International Youth Football competition, 2 – fri 7th August 2020
- New Horizon, 25 – 31st July 2020 a Christian Bible teaching event in Coleraine University campus
- Ulster Military vehicle Show, August 2020
- East Antrim old vehicle club cavalcade and show, August 2020
- Home Nations Boat Angling Championships, August 2020 fishing/Angling
- Summer entertainment night – Fireworks and concert, August 2020
- NW Pipe Band Championships Festival, August 2020
- Mini weekend on the North Coast, 29- 31st August 2020 family entertainment
- Auld Lammas fair Ballycastle 29 – 30th August 2020
- Air show, 5th – 6th September 2020